- Rory McIlroy dismisses injury fears as Northern Irishman prepares to tackle hectic schedule to stay at No 1
- Arturo Vidal was told to return to Bayern Munich after ‘turning up at Chile training camp under influence of alcohol’
- Autism symptoms differ between boys and girls because 'of their brains'
- How oysters, spinach, and tangerines could be the secret to chiselled cheekbone
- EU executive confirms plan for bigger migrant relocation quotas
- Manchester City new boy Raheem Sterling 'charged up' ahead of England's crunch Euro 2016 qualifier against San Marino
- Should a sexy woman be seen and not heard? A man can laugh a woman into bed, but funny females aren't attractive, study claims
- Britain offering 4,000 spaces for Syrian refugees - UNHCR
- Hungary's PM says Muslim migrants will leave Europeans 'a minority'
- Malaysia anti-graft unit says faces no interference in PM probe
Strictly Come Dancing's Natalie Gumede spotted leaving doctors after undergoing physio and steroid injections for compressed disc
More from Entertainment
- One Direction's Niall Horan parties with Jose Mourinho daughter Matilde
- TOWIE's Lydia Bright dons sheer lace dress in Marbella
- Made In Chelsea's Lucy Watson parades slender bikini body on Mykonos minibreak
- Smiling Kate Hudson is effortlessly stylish in grey slogan top and distressed denim as she steps out in London... after fun night out at the Glamour Awards
- Ellie Goulding admits to a fling with One Direction's Niall Horan
By Louise Saunders
PUBLISHED: 18:18 EST, 16 October 2013 | UPDATED: 16:46 EST, 17 October 2013
Natalie Gumede is 'determined' to appear on this weekend's Strictly Come Dancing, despite battling an agonising back problem,
The former Coronation Street star has been diagnosed with a 'compressed disc and sciatica' after been struck down in pain during training with professional partner Artem Chingvintsev.
But after undergoing physiotherapy and steroid injections on Thursday morning, the 29-year-old actress has vowed that she will be fighting fit again by Saturday night's show.
Visit: Natalie was seen visiting the doctors in London on Wednesday to undergo physio and steroid injections after suffering from a compressed disc
Relief: Natalie was no doubt delighted to discover she had not slipped a disc but is suffering from a compressed disc and sciatica
A Strictly Come Dancing spokesperson told MailOnline: 'Thankfully Natalie hasn't slipped a disc, but she is suffering from a compressed disc and sciatica.
'This is when the central bit of a vertebrate bulges out due to tear in the outer, fibrous ring of the disc. She has had physio this morning and she is about to have steroid injections to ease the pain.
'She will not train today but is determined to dance on Saturday night. So we shall see.'
Fighting back: Natalie is 'determined' to appear on this weekend's Strictly Come Dancing, despite battling an agonising back problem
Injured: The former Coronation Street star has been diagnosed with a 'compressed disc and sciatica' after been struck down in pain during training with professional partner Artem Chingvintsev
Natalie had to miss training on Wednesday and went for an MRI scan amid fears that she may have slipped a disc, which could have cast a shadow over her involvement in the BBC One show.
Gumede has already proved to be a dancefloor talent, topping the leader board again at the weekend after achieving a score of 36 from the awestruck judging panel for her rumba to Rihanna's Love The Way You Lie.
Artem said: ‘We had to finish rehearsal early on Tuesday because of the pain in Natalie's back - if it is serious she might not be able to continue.’
Waiting game: The actress has had an MRI scan and is waiting results to discover whether she can compete
A show source added: ‘She had a slight fall in training on Tuesday which may have contributed to aggravating an old back injury.
‘She fears the worst and would hate not to be able to perform on Saturday. It may be touch and go, we'll have to wait and see.’
Natalie, who became the early favourite to win the contest, is due to perform a quickstep to Yeah by Usher if she manages to compete on Saturday.
Favourite to win: Natalie who performs with Artem Chigvinstev has topped the leader board twice already
The actress hit headlines earlier this week when she received a waves of criticism from viewers due to her previous training, which many believe gives her an unfair advantage.
Shortly after signing up for the BBC One show it emerged Miss Gumede was listed as ‘highly skilled’ dancer on her agency CV and worked professionally in the industry until she suffered an injury aged 19.
The actress was previously credited for her abilities in cabaret, contralto, jazz dancing, Latin American and tap dancing, having started training at the tender age of four.