- Photos Of Eva Longoria Relaxing On Beach Break In Spain
- Sergio Ramos is quick fix Manchester United need as they play catch-up with Chelsea and Manchester City
- Chris Froome to rattle rivals with tactical mind games during Tour de France tilt
- Lewis Hamilton: Muhammad Ali didn't put up with second best and neither do I
- Leeds 46-18 St Helens: Ash Handley stars as Rhinos complete double over Super League rivals
- Atletico Madrid fans won't forgive David de Gea if he leaves Manchester United for Real, claims former team-mate Tomas Ujfalusi
- Manchester United flop Radamel Falcao takes £145,000 cut in wages to join Jose Mourinho at Chelsea
- HOT OR NOT: Millennium Stadium to host Champions League final and Leicester fans should be wary of Guus Hiddink link
- Formula One must be made simpler and engine development must improve as Mercedes continue to take centre stage
- Prince George gardens with Charles on eve of Princess Charlotte's christening
Erica Lynn Parsons: Authorities search home of 15-year-old girl who disappeared over two years ago after brother finally reports her missing last month
More from News
- Prince George gardens with Charles on eve of Princess Charlotte's christening
- New Horizon's Pluto video reveals reveals more mysterious white markings
- Gunman who shot dead 32-year-old woman in front of her father 'at random' on San Francisco pier was illegal Mexican immigrant who'd been deported FIVE times and was mistakenly released
- Woman dies after her headache turns out to be a BRAIN EATING bug
- Florida girls share social media photos sitting on sea turtles
- Bobbi Kristina's family finally make peace in Whitney Houston daughter's 'final days'
- Nicki Minaj brings her mom on stage to thank her at The 2015 BET Awards
- Justin Bieber enjoys evening out in Hollywood with Joel Houston
- 'This is more than I can handle — I'm never going to sing again': Shania Twain reveals how her husband's affair with her best friend nearly ended her career
- Jennifer Lawrence slips into very low-cut lacy LBD for dinner with her mother Karen after casual day of apartment hunting
- Caitlyn Jenner, 65, is only too happy to fill her closet during new clip of I Am Cait
- 50 Inch Fake Butt On Detroit Factory Worker Makes White Folks Say “We Thought Her Booty Was Ghetto-Fabulous!
- Captain Save-A-Storch: Broke Azz Music Producer Says Chris Brown, Rick Ross And Tyga Will Get Him Paid
- Boyfriend recounts terror hiding under bed sheets after Wall Street CEO 'burst into apartment and demanded to know if he had sex with his model assistant'
- Iceland remains most peaceful nation in the world, study says
- R.I.P: Autopsy Reveals How Lamar Odom’s Friend Bobby Heyward Died But Was It A Drug Overdose??
- Sex and the Sahara: Striking photographs of the mysterious Islamic tribe where women embrace sexual freedoms, dictate who gets what in divorce and don't wear the veil because men 'want to see their beautiful faces
- Children are giving up video games but what's the new craze that's become king?
- Vigilante cyclist films woman texting at the wheel as she drove with two young children on board
- Amber Heard turns every head in skintight black dress and scarlet heels as she makes her way to Tonight Show appearance
- 'She breached her contract': Danniella Westbrook has been axed from Hollyoaks return before filming a single scene
- Sweden's mummified bishop: Buried in 1680 with hidden baby
- Next Apple Watch could have camera, better WiFi
- Decorated bridge urges London commuters to 'Love Mondays
- Ex-White House chef's body found in New Mexico
- $3.4 billion worth of art in a little corner of Switzerland
- Greece, Russia agree explosive gas deal
- Inside the delightfully dark world of adult animation
- Saddam Hussein's tomb destroyed, but Babylon is safe as ISIS targets antiquity
- EJ Johnson continues to show off dramatic weight loss as he dines out with Rich Kids Of Beverly Hills co-star Morgan Stewart
- Doughnut sandwiches, squid ink cheese and pizza crusts: As Burger King unveils its stomach-churning scarlet creation, the world's most bizarre burgers revealed
- That's different! Lady Gaga gets serious and puts some clothes on to receive top songwriters' award after arriving at the Hall Of Fame Induction in a bondage latex bra
- E.T. drove home: Master mechanic makes space-age vehicles suitable for alien invaders from normal family cars
- BOSSIP Exclusive: Drake And Taz Of Taz’s Angels Have Heated Argument In Miami Nightclub [PHOTOS]
- American Terrorist: White Shooter Dylann Roof Still At Large After Charleston Church Shooting, Here’s What We Know…
- Erica Lynn Parsons, 15, last seen November 19, 2011, leaving adoptive parents' home in Salisbury, North Carolina
- Casey and Sandy Parsons' lawyer claims Erica called in February 2012 to say she wants to stay with her birth grandmother
- Rowan County Sheriff's Office spokesman said the search is routine
- Adoptive parents will go on Dr. Phil talk show to discuss case
- Social services investigated allegations of abuse when Erica was 4 years old
By Snejana Farberov and Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 17:09 EST, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 17:16 EST, 14 August 2013
The home of Erica Lynn Parsons' adoptive parents in Salisbury, North Carolina is being searched today as the FBI join the hunt to find the 15-year-old who went missing two years ago.
Her parents Sandy and Casey Parsons said that she went to live with her biological grandmother in Asheville two years ago, but authorities say that isn't true.
Erica was officially reported missing July 30 by her 19-year-old adoptive brother. She was last seen in November 2011, then 13-years-old.
The search is on: Authorities are searching the home of Erica Lynn Parsons' adoptive parents after she was just reported missing July 30. She was last seen in November 2011
Where is she? Erica was reported missing by her older brother nearly two years after she disappeared from her Salisbury, North Carolina home
Last sighting: Erica has been missing since November 19, 2011, when she left her adoptive parents' home on Miller Chapel Road in Salisbury
Rowan County Sheriff's Office spokesman John Sifford confirmed the search, but said it was standard with such a case. He said people shouldn't read too much into it.
Without a trace: Erica Lynn Parsons, 15, was reported missing by her 19-year-old brother July 30 after she was last seen in Salisbury, North Carolina, in November 2011
The couple has hired an attorney. They spoke with reporters last week, saying they wanted to give their side of the story.
An attorney hired by Erica's adoptive parents, Casey and Sandy Parsons, claimed that his clients were under the impression that the 15-year-old went to live with her biological grandmother and wanted to be left alone, the Charlotte Observer reported.
The lawyer, Carlyle Sherrill, said that two years ago, a person claiming to be a relative or friend of Erica's birth parents came by Parsons' home on Miller Chapel Road to pick her up and take her to her family.
The adoptive parents said they did not raise an alarm at the time because Erica visited that person in Asheville on several occasions.
According to Sherrill, In February 2012, Erica called the Parsonses and informed them in no uncertain terms that she was not coming back because she did not want to live with them anymore, Asheville Citizen-Times reported.
‘They looked at it as being a rebellious teenager. That was an attitude they took,’ Sherrill said. ‘I don't know that at any time it dawned on them she was a missing person.’
According to police investigating the case, when they questioned Casey and Sandy Parsons over a two-day period last week, the parents lied to them and were uncooperative.
'Rebellious teen:' Erica, who was adopted by the Parsons family when she was 2 weeks old, allegedly informed them by phone that she does not want to return home and plans to stay with her birth parents' relatives
Their attorney, however, insists that his clients did not purposefully fabricate anything, but were rather relaying information that they believed to be true.
Sherrill added that her clients stopped answering questions when detectives began insinuating that that the Parsonses may have played a role in their adopted daughters' disappearance.
On Friday, Erica's adoptive aunt and grandmother were interviewed by investigators. Meanwhile, the Parsonses spoke to local reporters, saying that they believed the 15-year-old was OK, but afraid to contact them due to all the media attention.
TIMELINE OF ERICA PARSONS' MISSING PERSONS CASE:
1998: Erica Lynn Parsons, age 2 weeks, is taken in by Casey and Sandy Parsons, who have three children of their own. She is the biological child of Sandy Parsons’ brother’s wife.
2000: The Parsonses officially adopt Erica in Cabarrus County
1999-2011: The couple have two more children, Brooke and Toby.
February 2010: William James Parsons, 16, the couple’s biological son, is arrested for biting his younger brother.
August 2011: James Parsons is charged with two counts of assault, animal cruelty and assault on a minor. Charges are dismissed when Casey Parsons does not appear in court.
Nov. 19, 2011: The Parsonses take Erica to a McDonald’s in Mooresville to catch a ride to the Asheville home of her biological grandmother, Irene 'Nan' Goodman.
December 2011: The Parsonses say on her third visit to Asheville, Erica calls home and says she doesn’t want to live with them anymore.
2012: Casey Parsons files a missing persons report for her daughter, Brooke.
July 30, 2013: After his parents kick him out, James Parsons contacts the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and reports that Erica has been missing for two years.
August 2013: After undergoing two days of questioning by investigators, the Parsonses hire attorney Carlyle Sherrill.
Aug. 5, 2013: The Rowan Sheriff’s Office issues a missing/endangered persons alert for Erica.
Aug. 9, 2013: The Parsonses have agreed to appear on the Dr. Phil Show.
Source: Salisbury Post
Casey and Sandy Parsons told the press that despite accusations from police, they have done nothing wrong.
‘[Police said] we had killed Erica and buried her in our backyard,’ Casey Parsons said. ‘We told them "Go do what you want to the house. Look. Go dig the yard up. Erica is not in this yard. Erica is fine."'
According to the couple, they believed that their adopted daughter has been living with her biological grandmother, Irene Goodman, since December 2011, when the girl traveled to Asheville to visit her for Christmas.
However, police and Erica's birth mother, Carolyn Parsons, said that the teen's paternal grandmother has died.
Despite Casey and Sandy Parsons' protestations that they have never hurt Erica, the Department of Social Services has removed their two other children from their home and launched an investigation of its own.
According to DSS documents obtained by Channel 9, at least one person had been concerned that Erica was being abused as a child.
The report stated that when Erica was 4-years-old, she was observed with ‘four marks on her rear end, a long one down the back of her leg and a couple on the side of her face.'
According to a woman involved in the case, the little girl was perpetually punished by her adoptive parents. The person who raised the alarm about Erica's treatment told DSS at the time that Casey Parsons even carried ‘a belt’ and used it to whip the girl.
However, a DSS investigation into the allegations of abuse has yielded no evidence. According to a report summing up the investigation, ‘no signs of cuts, contusions, or scratches’ have been found, and Erica showed ‘no signs of fear with either of the parents going up and sitting on each of their laps without being asked.’
The person who reported the abuse, however, insisted that Erica was very submissive and would do whatever she was told out of fear of being punished.
The Parsonses' lawyer told ABCNews.com that around November 2011, Case and Sandy Parsons got a call from Erica's birth mother, who said she wanted her daughter to come stay with her and another relative in the Asheville area for a while.
Erica has been missing since November 19, 2011. On July 30, nearly two years later, her older brother, James Parsons, reported her missing.
He told authorities that when he asked about his sister previously, his parents said she had left and moved in with other relatives, the Salisbury Post said.
Claims of innocence: Casey and Sandy Parsons gave an interview to local media in which they insisted that they have done nothing to harm Erica, and that they believed she has been living with her grandmother
The 19-year-old said he fears that something may have happened to Erica and his parents are not telling him.
to Sherrill, James Parsons called police after being forced to move out
of his parents’ house as punishment for assaulting his mother with a
baseball bat in June.
Casey and Sandy Parsons described
their son as an emotionally disturbed young man who is bi-polar,
suicidal and at times violent.
In February 2010, James was charged with assaulting his then-3-year-old brother, Toby, by biting the toddler on the arm.
summer, James was charged with assaulting his mother, who had just
undergone surgery, his sister and brother, and also choking the sister’s
According to the
arrest warrant, the teen pulled his mother’s gastrointestinal bag tube,
causing it to bleed, and kicking the woman while she was on the floor.
James also allegedly threated his baby bother with a knife and grabbed
his sister, Brooke, by the throat.
The charges against James Parsons were later dropped because his mother failed to appear on court.
Vendetta: The parents accused their son, James, of filing the missing persons report just to get back at them for forcing him out of the house after he had attacked his mother
Worst fears: The girl's adoptive grandparents, Janet and Steven Parsons, are afraid that something happened to Erica, and their son, Erica's father, and his wife are not telling them the truth
always told me he was going to get me. I never thought he’d do this,’
Casey Parsons said, implying that her son filed the missing person’s
report to get back at her.
year, authorities said Casey Parsons reported her daughter Brooke
missing, but the child was later found and returned home.
When the Parsonses, who adopted the girl when she was just 2-weeks-old, tried to contact Erica's family in Asheville, they could not be found.
The parents have agreed to speak out about their adopted daughter on the Dr. Phil talk show, hoping it will help investigators find Erica.
Relatives told Channel 9 the girl has had a life filled with pain and fear. According to one family member, Erica could not speak to or look at anyone because she was always being punished and abused.
Erica Parsons is described as 4 feet 5 and weighing between 85 and 90lbs. She has brown hair and brown eyes and appears small for her age.