- The Latest: French voting site reopens after security scare
- Jeremy Corbyn rules out pressing the nuclear button
- 2017 Logies ceremony
- Jessica Marias wins Best Actress at the Logies
- Iranian candidate says nuclear deal failed to lift sanctions
- David Weir wins a record seventh London Marathon
- Topless Chloe Goodman lashes out at implant claims
- Mary Keitany wins women's race at the London Marathon
- Gareth Gates's gf Faye Brookes admits she was 'Team Will'
- Rafael Benitez spells out simple message to Newcastle
'2 drunk 2 care:' What driver, 20, posted on her 'pothead princess' Twitter account before driving wrong way on Florida highway and killing two best friends
More from News
- Rihanna ft Drake Work (African Version)
- How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable
- Harper Lee Dead At The Age Of 89: 'To Kill A Mockingbird Author' Passes Away
- Baby Celebrity Look Alikes
- British Adventurer Becomes The First Person To Complete 1,600-Mile Walk From South To The North Of Madagascar After Beating Malaria And Dodging Crocodiles During His 155-Days Journey
- Bobbi Kristina's family finally make peace in Whitney Houston daughter's 'final days'
- Nicki Minaj brings her mom on stage to thank her at The 2015 BET Awards
- Justin Bieber enjoys evening out in Hollywood with Joel Houston
- 'This is more than I can handle — I'm never going to sing again': Shania Twain reveals how her husband's affair with her best friend nearly ended her career
- Jennifer Lawrence slips into very low-cut lacy LBD for dinner with her mother Karen after casual day of apartment hunting
- Caitlyn Jenner, 65, is only too happy to fill her closet during new clip of I Am Cait
- 50 Inch Fake Butt On Detroit Factory Worker Makes White Folks Say “We Thought Her Booty Was Ghetto-Fabulous!
- Captain Save-A-Storch: Broke Azz Music Producer Says Chris Brown, Rick Ross And Tyga Will Get Him Paid
- Boyfriend recounts terror hiding under bed sheets after Wall Street CEO 'burst into apartment and demanded to know if he had sex with his model assistant'
- Iceland remains most peaceful nation in the world, study says
- R.I.P: Autopsy Reveals How Lamar Odom’s Friend Bobby Heyward Died But Was It A Drug Overdose??
- Sex and the Sahara: Striking photographs of the mysterious Islamic tribe where women embrace sexual freedoms, dictate who gets what in divorce and don't wear the veil because men 'want to see their beautiful faces
- Children are giving up video games but what's the new craze that's become king?
- Vigilante cyclist films woman texting at the wheel as she drove with two young children on board
- Amber Heard turns every head in skintight black dress and scarlet heels as she makes her way to Tonight Show appearance
- 'She breached her contract': Danniella Westbrook has been axed from Hollyoaks return before filming a single scene
- Sweden's mummified bishop: Buried in 1680 with hidden baby
- Next Apple Watch could have camera, better WiFi
- Decorated bridge urges London commuters to 'Love Mondays
- Ex-White House chef's body found in New Mexico
- Game of Thrones' Lena Headey nude body double Rebecca Van Cleave defends replacement
- $3.4 billion worth of art in a little corner of Switzerland
- Greece, Russia agree explosive gas deal
- Inside the delightfully dark world of adult animation
- Saddam Hussein's tomb destroyed, but Babylon is safe as ISIS targets antiquity
- Kayla Maria Mendoza, 20, sent out dozens of tweets detailing her drug use and alcohol consumption
- Her still-functioning Twitter account is filled with references to 'blunts' and weed, as well of photos of what appear to be marijuana cigarettes
- Mendoza remains in serious condition at a hospital and has not been charged
- Marisa Caran Catronio, 21, died at the scene after a wrong-way driver smashed into her friend's car early on Sunday morning near Coral Springs, Florida
- Her friend Kaitlyn Nicole Ferrante died Thursday morning from head injuries after spending four days on life support
- Marisa's family came across the tragic scene after she missed her 2am curfew and an app showed their car had stopped on the highway
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 21 November 2013 | UPDATED: 21:52 EST, 21 November 2013
A 20-year-old self-proclaimed 'pothead princess' from Florida tweeted the words '2 drunk 2 care' just hours before allegedly causing a horrific wrong-way crash that killed two young women.
Police say Kayla Mendoza, of Hallandale Beach, was the culprit in the Saturday night accident on Sawgrass Expressway that resulted in the deaths of Marisa Caran Catronio and Kaitlyn Nicole Ferrante.
Catronio was pronounced dead at the scene. Her friend was rushed to a hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries this morning.
Party girl: Kayla Mendoza, the 20-year-old self-proclaimed 'pothead princess' who posted photos of joints on her Twitter account, is allegedly responsible for a wrong-way crash that killed two women
Impending doom: Less than three hours before the wrong-way crash, Mendoza tweeted that she was '2 drunk 2 care'
Addict: Mendoza's Twitter account is filled with posts about her marijuana habit
Evidence: The 20-year-old was not shy about sharing photos of weed
Mendoza, who remained in serious condition at an area hospital earlier this week, has not been shy about her suspected drug use and weakness for alcohol on Twitter, as Miami New Times first reported.
Posting under the user name 'Kaila Mendoza,' the T-Mobile sales associate has fired off dozens of tweets about being high and rolling blunts.
Just after 11pm Saturday, less than three hours before the deadly collision, Mendoza posted a message that read: '2 high 2 care.'
Second fatality: Kaitlyn Ferrante passed away from her injuries in a hospital four days after the collision
In the days and weeks leading up to the crash, the 20-year-old graduate of Broward College lamented that her 'car permanently smells like weed,’ described her state as '2 high 2 care' and boasted about 'rolling a blunt in the airport parking lot.'
Her Twitter account, which has not been taken down as of Thursday evening, is also peppered with images of what appear to be marijuana cigarettes and piles of weed.
On November 9, Mendoza tweeted: 'Can't sleep without my bedtime blunt.'
A week earlier, she shared with her 631 followers: 'I really am so baked right now.'
Mendoza's Facebook page, however, paints a slightly different portrait of the Florida party girl.
Photos of the 20-year-old show a beaming, prim young woman with shiny black locks and conservative outfits.
Police have yet to charge Mendoza in connection to the deadly accident.
Victims: Marisa Caran Catronio, right, has died and her best friend Kaitlyn Nicole Ferrante, left, is in critical condition after a wrong-way driver smashed into them on a Florida expressway on Sunday
Driver: Kayla Mendoza was allegedly driving the wrong way and hit the girls. She remains in serious condition
Catronio and Ferrante had been heading
home to Coral Springs in Ferrante's 2012 Toyota Camry after a night on the town last Saturday when they were struck by a Hyundai Sonata driven by Kayla Maria Mendoza, according to police.
Mendoza was heading east in the westbound lanes when slammed head-on into Catronio's red Camry driven by Ferrante west of University Drive.
According to news reports, the two friedns were out celebrating Catronio's 21st birthday.
Marisa Catronio was pronounced
dead at the scene shortly after 1.45am. Both Ferrante and Mendoza were taken to
Broward Health North, where the former passed away Thursday.
According to Florida Highway Patrol, Miss Ferrante sustained severe head injuries and was kept on life support, CBS Miami reported.
Distraught: Marisa's father, Gary, sobbed as he said he would never be able to hug his daughter again
Loved: Mr Catronio is now calling on highways to install spikes or flashing lights to warn wrong-way drivers they are headed for danger. He is pictured with his daughter Marisa, whom he called 'full of life'
Catronio's father, Gary, has revealed that he and his wife made it to the scene of the accident on Sawgrass Expressway after tracking their daughter using a phone app.
'My little girl is not here anymore because of the negligence of a driver driving on the wrong side of the highway,' he told NBC. 'This has to be stopped. We've got to do something to prevent this.'
The victims' friends and members of their community have rallied around the girls' devastated families, holding candlelight vigils and fundraisers.
'Full of life': The girls had been heading back from a night out when they were hit by the other car
Loved: Her brother shared these images on Facebook. She leaves behind two young brothers
Mr Catronio said Marisa, who worked at a pediatrics office, loved fashion and baking. She leaves behind her mother, Natalie, and brothers Jesse, 19, and Dustin, 17.
The family members paid tribute to Marisa on Facebook, sharing photos of the young woman.
Jesse wrote: 'Best big sister in the world! No one can ever replace you. You were always there for me and helped me through so much. I love you and you'll never be forgotten.'
Marisa's funeral will be held on Friday.
- Student, 14, 'raped teacher in school bathroom and sexually...
- Grieving Belgian woman sleeps next to the grisly remains of...
- British woman, 30, spent her entire life as a slave in...
- Outrage after Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical...
- Man's 'I cheated' prank goes sour when girlfriend admits...
- What would the world's greatest music legends have looked...
- Phew, that was close! Massive cargo Jumbo's nail-biting...
- Female teacher banned from profession for having sexual...
- EXCLUSIVE - Brittany Murphy’s stepdaughter, 18, talks...
- Charles Manson, 79, 'is getting married to devoted...
- '2 drunk 2 care:' What driver, 20, posted on her 'pothead...
- How Kennedy and Ford both had affairs with the same East...