- The Latest: French voting site reopens after security scare
- Jeremy Corbyn rules out pressing the nuclear button
- 2017 Logies ceremony
- Jessica Marias wins Best Actress at the Logies
- Iranian candidate says nuclear deal failed to lift sanctions
- David Weir wins a record seventh London Marathon
- Topless Chloe Goodman lashes out at implant claims
- Mary Keitany wins women's race at the London Marathon
- Gareth Gates's gf Faye Brookes admits she was 'Team Will'
- Rafael Benitez spells out simple message to Newcastle
The original Grumpy Cat! Meet the pre-Internet pets who deserve a second shot at online fame with their adorable antics (including one with fixed angry expression)
More from News
- Rihanna ft Drake Work (African Version)
- How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable
- Harper Lee Dead At The Age Of 89: 'To Kill A Mockingbird Author' Passes Away
- Baby Celebrity Look Alikes
- British Adventurer Becomes The First Person To Complete 1,600-Mile Walk From South To The North Of Madagascar After Beating Malaria And Dodging Crocodiles During His 155-Days Journey
- Bobbi Kristina's family finally make peace in Whitney Houston daughter's 'final days'
- Nicki Minaj brings her mom on stage to thank her at The 2015 BET Awards
- Justin Bieber enjoys evening out in Hollywood with Joel Houston
- 'This is more than I can handle — I'm never going to sing again': Shania Twain reveals how her husband's affair with her best friend nearly ended her career
- Jennifer Lawrence slips into very low-cut lacy LBD for dinner with her mother Karen after casual day of apartment hunting
- Caitlyn Jenner, 65, is only too happy to fill her closet during new clip of I Am Cait
- 50 Inch Fake Butt On Detroit Factory Worker Makes White Folks Say “We Thought Her Booty Was Ghetto-Fabulous!
- Captain Save-A-Storch: Broke Azz Music Producer Says Chris Brown, Rick Ross And Tyga Will Get Him Paid
- Boyfriend recounts terror hiding under bed sheets after Wall Street CEO 'burst into apartment and demanded to know if he had sex with his model assistant'
- Iceland remains most peaceful nation in the world, study says
- R.I.P: Autopsy Reveals How Lamar Odom’s Friend Bobby Heyward Died But Was It A Drug Overdose??
- Sex and the Sahara: Striking photographs of the mysterious Islamic tribe where women embrace sexual freedoms, dictate who gets what in divorce and don't wear the veil because men 'want to see their beautiful faces
- Children are giving up video games but what's the new craze that's become king?
- Vigilante cyclist films woman texting at the wheel as she drove with two young children on board
- Amber Heard turns every head in skintight black dress and scarlet heels as she makes her way to Tonight Show appearance
- 'She breached her contract': Danniella Westbrook has been axed from Hollyoaks return before filming a single scene
- Sweden's mummified bishop: Buried in 1680 with hidden baby
- Next Apple Watch could have camera, better WiFi
- Decorated bridge urges London commuters to 'Love Mondays
- Ex-White House chef's body found in New Mexico
- Game of Thrones' Lena Headey nude body double Rebecca Van Cleave defends replacement
- $3.4 billion worth of art in a little corner of Switzerland
- Greece, Russia agree explosive gas deal
- Inside the delightfully dark world of adult animation
- Saddam Hussein's tomb destroyed, but Babylon is safe as ISIS targets antiquity
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:40 EST, 12 March 2013 | UPDATED: 04:12 EST, 13 March 2013
Decades before the invention of the Internet, at a time when no one knew the words 'meme' or 'viral,' pets were melting their owners’ hearts with their cuteness without ever getting a shot at worldwide fame.
Dog and cat owners have been documenting the antics of their furry companions as far back the invention of the first cameras.
However, without YouTube, Instagram or Facebook, only a few relatives and friends got to enjoy the photographs depicting Mitzy sitting down to a game of chess, or Rover behind the wheel of a toy car.
Black-and-white photos from the 1920s, 30s and 50s that surely would have gone viral today - with hilarious memes on Reddit, YouTube videos and segments on Good Morning America - have faded into obscurity, languishing on a roll of film or collecting dust in a long-forgotten album.
But some heart-melting and side-splitting images of pets from decades past are now getting a second chance at Internet fame after being digitally archived.
More than 30 years before Tardar Sauce the Grumpy Cat took the Internet by storm, becoming a household name thanks to her comically stern facial expression, a pet owner immortalized an equally angry kitty perched next to a cake to mark her 27th birthday.
Other gems from a collection of pet photos from decades past include a hilarious image of a kitten wearing headphones to listen to a radio program back in 1926.
Another image taken in 1933, which would have been Internet gold had it been uploaded onto Instagram nowadays, shows a cat standing next to a clothes line hung with white mice inside socks.
Another shot from the 1930s that would have charmed web users the world over depicts a furry cat playing checkers with a lamb as a bantam watches over the game from the sidelines.
Grumpy birthday: A 27-year-old cat doesn't look too happy celebrating her birthday on August 22, 1977
Gone viral: More than three decades after the grumpy birthday photo, Tardar Sauce the cat took the Internet by storm thanks to her permanently angry facial expression
Steady there: Tim the cat is having difficulty in holding that pose requested of Laddie the dog because there is a mouse lurking nearby in this 1920s gem
Three's company: This little kitten looks quite comfortable flanked by a pair of puppies
Chatty cat: A feline lying in bed with an old-timey rotary phone
Troublemakers: A mischievous kitten is playing with a Christmas ornament, left, while an eight-month-old feline is snacking on some milk from the top of a bottle cap on the right
Cat-erwauling: Money the music-loving feline lends vocal accompaniment to his 15-year-old owner in Worcester Park, England, in 1959
Modern kitty: Tabby cat joined the feminist movement by launching a career as a typist in late 1920s
Fearless swimmer: A two-and-a-half-month-old kitten plunged into a pool in Santa Monica, California, and dog-paddled the 40 feet across the tank with her 10-year-old owner in 1956
Playmate: A Little girl playing house with her pooch serving as subject of her attention
Daredevils: A pair of kitties are playing on a railing, left, while Mitten the black cat takes a ride on the handlebars of his owner Karl Mitchell's motorcycle, right
Say, Cheese! Cat playing with a camera in a garden
Strange bedfellows: Fluffens, a four-year-old Persian and Angora mix, relaxes while a mother white mouse and her brood of seven use her for a playground in 1955
Hello, kitty! Ginger the cat using an old-fashioned phone in the UK
Fluffy listener: Tibby the cat tunes into a radio program wearing headphones on its ears in 1926
Time for a nap: A cat yawns while it sits on a wall in this 1930 photo
Playful puss: A Persian kitten on the floor, having fun with some yarn in 1950 image
Fancy feline: Mrs. Oglethorpe, a breeder of blue Persian cats, shows off one of her prize-winners named Pierrot of the Court in Wimbledon, UK, in 1935
Purebred: Twinlight Skipper Whipper, one of the score of felines entered in the 36th Annual Championship Cat Show of the Atlantic Cat Club in 1938
Curious cats: A tabby cat on the left banged up his head in a 1950 car crash; Tige the curious kitty on the right peers inside a camera as he tries to focus up for a shot
Puppy love: Hans, a dachshund puppy, kisses a kitty while sitting in a teapot in this adorable 1926 image
VIDEO Modern 'grumpy cat'. Tardar Sauce makes TV appearances!
Catch more of the 'grumpy cat' Tardar Sacue's latest TV appearance HERE